Photo Gallery

  • Wilkinson & Geddy’s Store: Burned in 1974

  • Toano Depot: Removed in 1968

  • Old Toano Main Street

  • Wayside Inn: Lost to highway improvements in 1966

  • Green Shingle Inn: Lost to highway improvements in 1966

  • Wilkinson & Geddy Store Rear View

  • Barksdale’s Drugstore: Lost to highway improvements in 1966

  • Moody Oil Company: Lost to highway improvements in 1966 & Mauney House: Neglected and then demolished in the late 1960’s

  • Mauney House & Hotel Felix: The Felix was neglected and demolished in the 1940’s

  • Taylor’s Garage in 1959

  • Toano High School: Torn down in 1966 to make room for a new firehouse (in hindsight, a huge mistake)

  • Taylor’s Garage: Lost to highway improvements in 1966

  • General View of Toano: Original C & O tracks crossed Rt. 60. Original depot and water tank were on the south side of Rt. 60. The water tank was moved to Norge in 1906. The pine tree seen on the left is still alive and well. It dates back to 1781.

  • Mark Wenger with MCDB Architects in Williamsburg surveys buildings for the Toano Commercial Historic District Nomination/Joe Carlton Estate.